Sunday 1 May 2016

April in Review

I had a good week at the beginning of April, then the rest of it was abysmal. It did have one of my most anticipated films of the year and my most anticipated book of the year right in the last week, which helped cheer things up a bit.

Books Read in April
Radio Silence - Alice Oseman
The Raven King - Maggie Stiefvater 
The Bane Chronicles - Cassandra Clare, Sarah Rees Brennan, Maureen Johnson 

Favourite Book of April: The Raven King

It feels a bit unfair to have read Radio Silence in the same month as TRK, which was always going to be my favourite of the month. Radio Silence is exceptional; an authentic portrait of fandom, friendship, sexuality and the weight of expectation. I totally recommend it. But TRK was everything I needed it to be; a perfect end to my favourite YA series. I am disappointed with the quantity of books in April, but certainly not with the quality!

---

Books Acquired in April


The Raven King - Maggie Stiefvater
Passenger - Alexandra Bracken
The Unexpected Everything - Morgan Matson
If I Was Your Girl - Meredith Russo
Geek Girl: Head Over Heels - Holly Smale
Desolation - Derek Landy

Thanks to my pal Jim for the bottom 4 of this pile (it took a lot to convince him not to bring me any more books) and to my lovely old work pal Lauren for Passenger! Super excited to read all of these.

---

Films Seen at the Cinema in April
Eddie the Eagle
The Huntsman: Winter's War
Eye in the Sky 
Captain America: Civil War

A solid month for films, actually. I really enjoyed Eddie the Eagle despite not having high expectations; it was totally predictable but super enjoyable with the best kind of feel-good ending. Winter's War is hardly the best film ever made but it was easy to watch and played for laughs, with some beautiful dresses. Eye in the Sky was tense and rather hard to watch but brilliantly acted and bittersweet seeing Alan Rickman in his last cinematic appearance. We went to a midnight showing of Civil War, which I'd looked forward to all month and was then almost too tired to go to. I really enjoyed it; I don't think it is the best film in the MCU as I've seen said, I had problems with it being too convoluted, but I did really enjoy it. 

---

Catch Up On This Month's Blog Posts:

As I said, it's been a hard month this month. I talked about that in my most recent blog post, Suffering a Setback. I shared my Love Letter to Technology and the second of my Etsy Addiction posts. I've been preoccupied with pain this month and I wrote a defence of prescription painkillers and about the difficulty in finding a balance. I also shared the first of my Rediscovering Manchester posts.

---

I have so many great things happening in May that I'm really looking forward to, it'll be a busy month but hopefully also a great one. I'm looking forward to the release of the latest X-Men film, and I can't wait to pick up a copy of The Square Root of Summer by Harriet Reuter Hapgood. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment